Are you tired of the slow browsing speed on your internet connection? Changing your ISP should be your last resort. Consider switching to one of the below mentioned, fast and free DNS servers to improve your browsing speed. But before that, let us understand what exactly is a DNS server.
A DNS (Domain name system) server helps translate a website’s URL (ex. www.yahoo.com) to the native IP Address (ex. 188.8.131.52) of the web server hosing that website. All ISP’s have their own DNS Servers however these are mostly slow and result is a poor browsing experience. But don’t worry, a number of international players have setup alternate DNS servers that can be used without paying any money and are amazingly faster than your ISP’s DNS servers.
List of FAST and FREE Public DNS Servers
- Google DNS — 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
- Verizon DNS — 18.104.22.168; 22.214.171.124; 126.96.36.199; 188.8.131.52; 184.108.40.206; and 220.127.116.11.
- Open DNS — 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
- DNS Advantage — 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
- Smart Viper — 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
How to Change your DNS Server
In order to change your DNS server on your Windows 8 PC. Follow these instructions :
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections
- Then select your active wireless / Ethernet connection that you use to connect to the internet. Right click on it and Hit the Properties button.
- Now scroll down to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option and hit the properties button.
- Now select the Use the following DNS server address option and enter the DNS servers in Preferred and Alternate DNS Server field.
- Hit OK and restart your connection.